Friday, May 2, 2008

Lorriane Hiltbrand Salad

I am not sure where this name comes from, but I got the recipe from my mother-in-law, Diane. The key here is the dressing. You must toss it in. It is nothing special without it and it is not as good just poured over. So right before serving, pour it all in and toss.

8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 head lettuce, torn into bite size pieces, cleaned and dried
1 cup sliced water chestnuts
2 avocados, diced
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 bunch spinach, torn, cleaned and dried
2 small cans sliced olives

For the dressing, combine in a blender and blend for 1 minute.

1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
3/4 cups oil
1/3 tsp red onion, grated
3/4 tsp prepared mustard

1 comment:

Kym said...

The name actually comes from me. A sister on my mission made it for us & so I named it after her. It was one of the best dinners we had. We always had meat & potatoes for every meal. So to have dinner of a couple salads & bread was heaven. So I named it after her.