Friday, May 8, 2009

Chocolate Dipped Frozen Banana Bites

I love chocolate. I love bananas. I have one issue with the chocolate dipped frozen bananas: they tend to be too big for me. I just want a taste. The beauty of these bites is that they are ... well, just a bite. Which also means we increase the chocolate to banana ratio: always a good thing. You can also control how frozen you want them: solid or just chilled. ( They last longer if you freeze them.)

Then there are the toppings. I like salted nuts. It reminds me of a good ice cream sundae. But I have a definite thing for Butterfingers and Butterfingers smashed up on a frozen banana is very good. Still crunchy and salty and gooey and creamy and sweet and cold.

Then there is the issue with what is considered a ripe banana. According to both Martha and Ina, it should be yellow with a few brown spots. My mother-in-law calls that a rotten banana and prefers them green. I call that under ripe. Rotten is when it is gooey and ready for banana bread. My concept of a good ripe banana is the same as Martha and Ina. I think I am in good company. But to each his/her own.

2 cups bittersweet chocolate
3 Tablespoons canola oil
3 ripe bananas

Toppings:
crushed oreos, toffee bits, chopped Butterfingers, chopped salted peanuts, toasted coconut

Stir chocolate and oil in heavy saucepan over low heat just until smooth. Let stand 15 minutes to cool.

Place each topping in a separate shallow bowl. Lina baking sheet with foil. Dip one banana slice at a time in chocolate, shake off excess. Drop dipped banana in topping. Sprinkle more topping over to coat. Transfer to foil lined sheet. Repeat with remaining bananas.

Freeze until firm, about 3 hours, Serve.