Saturday, August 1, 2009

Aloha Pasta Salad

I made this recipe for a baby shower for Cyndi Broadhead. The recipe was provided by Tara, her sister. When she first sent the recipe, I was a little apprehensive. I really do not have a background in pimento use and I tend to be a little wary of a sweet and savory pasta salad. All those fears were put to rest. As soon as I finished this, my kids ate it for breakfast before I left for the shower. They all loved it. I tried it and could definitely see the appeal. This is one I will make again. I might do a little tweaking, but not much. What can I say? It works.

Ingredients:
3 cups medium shell pasta (uncooked)
1 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise
1- 8 ox. Kraft Coleslaw dressing
6 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
2- 20 ox. cans crushed pineapple (drain and reserve juice)
2 cups diced red apple (soak in pineapple juice to preserve)
2 cups red seedless grapes
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cups minced onion
1 small jar pimento (I'm calling this optional)
1/2 cup cashews (a little bit more wouldn't do anybody any harm)
salt and pepper
Directions:
Cook pasta according to package. Cool and stir in dressings. Add remaining ingredients, Drain off pineapple juice from apples before adding to pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 25 one cup servings.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

If I hadn't had it myself and tasted how fabulous it was I would never make it. The recipe seems so strange.... but oh is it delish. Did you really put in pimento? I didn't taste any.