Saturday, August 22, 2009

Frog Eye Salad or Dong-Dong Salad

Having eaten animal eyes, I strongly object to the title of this recipe. In Chinese, these little balls of pasta were known as dong-dong. Which, roughly translated is just "little things." If I titled this Dong-Dong Salad, I would be happier but no one else would know what I was talking about. So do I go with my gut or follow the trend? Maybe I can start slowly.THis version is from Jennifer Frank. I adjusted a tiny bit. You can add other fruit - I've had it with bananas but you have to eat it all right away. You can add fresh fruit if you eat it all right away. If you are planning on making it in advance or keeping leftovers, stick with canned fruit that has been drained.

Boil 1 1/3 cup of Acini de Pepe with a dash of salt for 9-10 minutes and drain in strainer.
Put in large serving bowl.

While that cooks, mix the following:
1 ½ cups Pineapple Juice
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 ½ tsp salt
2 heaping Tbsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
Combine and heat over medium, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Pour over Acini and stir.

Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.

The next day add:
1 lg can Mandarin oranges (drained)
1 can pineapple tidbits (drained)
1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
6 oz Cool Whip
1 small jar of maraschino cherries
Half a bag of mini marshmallows

Mix well and serve ... or store a little longer.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you love my frog eyes as much as I do!!! YUMMY :)