Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pumpkin Soup

This recipe is courtesy of Kim Donaldson. I do not always pick friends who are great cooks. It is merely a coincidence that I seems to be drawn to them. When I first tried this, I was a little skeptical. I love pumpkin desserts. I couldn't imagine liking pumpkin in something savory.When I saw nutmeg was added, I was really skeptical, even though I like nutmeg in savory dishes (spinach, Alfredo sauce.) I too closely associate pumpkin and nutmeg with sweet. But what can I say? It works. Because this includes a can of puree pumpkin, it is easier and smoother than cleaning, roasting, scraping, chopping, and puree-ing a real pumpkin. But hey, if you have to do that to live with yourself, go for it. I was just fine with the can - better than fine. This is smooth. With a little swirl of cream and a sprinkler of an herb - I am thinking sage - this is fine dining.

A big PS to this: all my children love ... adore this soup. That alone makes this a keeper.

4 T butter
1/3 C flour
2/3 C grated onion (1 medium)

4 C water
4 chicken flavor bouillon cubes

1 (16 oz) can of pumpkin
2 t salt
1 1/3 t lemon juice
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t nutmeg

2 2/3 C half & half
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

In a large pan, melt butter and saute onions until soft, stir in flour. Stir until the flour and butter make a nice smooth roux (except for the chunks of onion.) Add the bouillon cubes which have been dissolved in water. Stir until smooth and thick. Add pumpkin, salt, lemon juice, pepper and nutmeg. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Let simmer 15 minutes. Add the half & half. Heat through but do not boil. Add the cheese, if so inclined and stir until blended. Correct seasoning. Serve immediately.

No comments: